Dying Tree, Dead Wood, Dead Plant
When you think of acid, you might think about poisonous burns and chemicals. But when it comes to rain, acid rain isn’t what you would expect. Keep on reading to learn more about acid rain, such as whether or not it is safe to drink.
Common Causes
Acid rain, also called acid residues , is made acidic as a result of atmospheric pollution vulnerability. Some atmospheric contamination is caused by natural sources, like volcanoes. Additional causes include vehicles, heavy equipment, manufacturing, oil refining, and other businesses.
However, the most common cause for this type of atmospheric pollution is industrial burning of coal and other fossil fuels to create electricity, which produce waste gases which contain harmful sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOX). When these sulfur and nitrogen oxides combine with the water and oxygen in the atmosphere, it forms acids.
What’s Acid Deposition?
Water acidity and alkalinity is represented as a pH value, which can be measured on scale that ranges from 0 to 14, with 14 being alkaline, 7 being neutral, and 0 being acidic. Rain is considered”acid rain” as it has a pH level between 4.2 and 4.4.
At high levels, it can be damaging to plants, landscapes, and the environment as a whole. But in moderation, acid deposition is nothing to be concerned about.
You see, most ordinary rain has an average pH of 5.6, making it slightly acidic. This is a consequence of water and carbon dioxide responding to one another in the atmosphere, and it is not harmful to people, living organisms, nor plants. After all, if you think about it, drinking water does not usually have a neutral pH value because it retains dissolved mineral content. This means that most acid rain is probably safe to drink, though it isn’t recommended.
Drinking Rain Water
In terms of drinking rain water, you can do so safely in the event you boil it and filter it, first. Boiling rain water will eliminate any harmful pathogens, while filtering it is going to eliminate extra unwanted impurities, such as chemicals, dust, pollen, mold, and other contaminants.
When collecting rain water for drinking purposes, it’s best to collect it directly from the sky into a clean barrel or bucket. Just make certain to position your collection barrel so it is not in the means of tree branches and other structures that it might drip off. Also, let the water to sit for at least 1 hour to allow the heavy particulates to settle at the bottom.
Should You Be Worried About Acid Rain?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *